Tuesday, February 7, 2012

High Five!

I have been without a dining room table for several weeks now and, at first, I didn't care.  But lately, I have found it pretty annoying.  In all honesty, my table is more commonly used to hold my junk than my dinner, but it is still needed.

So here's the story:

Mom and I went shopping on Saturday in search for a new table and chairs.  The first place we went to was a furniture liquidators.  It was a little shady, but whatever.  We started browsing the furniture they had out and I didn't see anything I liked.  The salesman said he had a lot in his warehouse so he brought out a magazine for me to browse through.  After finding the set I liked, he checked to see if he had it.

When he came back he told me I could have it for $499.  Um, no.  I told him my budget was around $300.  After his eyes bulged out he said he could go as low as $400 with a "neighborhood discount."

I know $400 is a great price, but I was feeling really hesitant.  After debating it, I told him I couldn't do $400.  First off, I was nervous to drop that much money and second, this was the first place I'd looked.  What if there was something better out there?

When we got in the car, I looked at Mom and said "Where to next?"  Just then, the salesman walked out and said he could do $350.  I sat in the car for another minute or two... I thought I'll never get that price anywhere else, I like the table and chairs, suck it up and spend the money!

And that's the story of how I unknowingly haggled the price of my dining room table and chairs.

Here's the best part -
Original price: $890
Sale price: $499
My price: $350

I'd call that a job well done!


  1. I love a story with a happy ending. Love the dining set and GREAT price!!! Can't wait to see it in your dining room.

  2. This is a total Auntie Karen type story! She gets good deals too :) And you know your cheap, deal loving older sister is extremely impressed. Next thing I know you'll be going to yard sales!