Thursday, February 23, 2012

Beige Microfiber?

Um, no thanks.  Not my style.  At all.

My dining room chairs came with beige microfiber on the cushions and me no likey.  I love microfiber, but not beige.  Right after buying the dining room furniture, my mom and I headed to an upholstery store to pick up some fabric for my chairs.  This fabric is sturdy and expensive.  At $22 a yard (on sale), I was very careful to get just the right amount.

We centered the chair around the main design and then tried to line everything up so that it was centered.

After lining up the center, I worked on stapling the corners so that there wouldn't be any wrinkles or folds.  It was a slow process in the beginning, but by the time I got to the last cushion I was a wiz at corner stapling.  After stapling everything down, I hammered in the staples just for good measure.  Then I cut the excess fabric off.

It's a super simple process.  All you need is a staple gun, fabric, and scissors.  We didn't even bother to take off the original stuff first, we covered right over it.

And by "we" I, of course, mean my mom and me.  Charlie laid on the bed the whole time.

Once all the cushions were covered, my dad helped me put the chairs together and then my mom helped me get everything to my apartment.

And just in case you were wondering: Yes, I do have the best parents ever.  Just saying.

The new fabric looks much nicer on the chairs than the original.  Plus, it's definitely more my style.


  1. I've covered a few chairs using this method and it really is easy and works great - no sewing for us non-sewers. HOWEVER, you guys did a perfect job while my chairs....let's just say the patterns weren't laid out perfectly on each chair like yours. And yes, your parents are great!

  2. G Love! What size staples did you use for this project? I will be undertaking a similar effort once I locate the perfect fabric for my kitchen chairs. I bought 1/4 inch staples yesterday but I'm second guessing my purchase and am thinking 5/16 might be better. Thoughts?

    1. Hi Michelle! If you hadn't asked me this question I would have had no idea what size staples I used! haha, my dad picked them out for me. Turns out they are 5/16. I have no idea which would be better. This is definitely not my area of expertise! Miss you! -Ginner