Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Scales and Stripes

A few weeks ago I purchased this shelf from Ikea to hang above the tv in my bedroom.  Because this shelf actually needs to be sturdy and hold quite a bit, I haven't hung it up yet.  I'm super intimidated by the fact that I want it to be leveled and centered above my dresser.  Leveled and centered?  That's a job for my Dad.



Pinned Image
click for link
Anyway, I've started working on the artwork to put on the shelf.   This scaly art inspired me to create some scales of my own.



I have two small 4x6" frames that I got from Ikea for super cheap.  I think it was $2 for the both of them (but don't quote me on that).  I decided to use some leftover circles from when I made my paper chandelier.   After closer inspection, I realized they were a little too bruised and battered to work for this project.



Instead, I used my 1 1/4" punch to create some circles of my own. There wasn't much to choose from, so I dug out some scrap paper and tried to get as many circles as I possibly could out of each piece.   I figured that since you wouldn't be able to see the bottom of the circle, it would be ok if they weren't perfect.  This was and wasn't a mistake - it made it harder to cover up all the white paper underneath, but it worked overall.



Don't look too closely - my scales are not perfectly aligned or evenly spaced.  The darker gray pieces are actually metalic paper; I wanted to add a little glitz to the project.  I wanted it mostly gray with a bit of color, so I added blue and silver as I went along.



For the second frame, I thought I'd do simple stripes.  My sister gave me this miniature electric tape a long time ago and I've finally put it to good use.  I put the tape on diagonally and eyeballed the distance between each stripe.  The ruler is just for you to get a sense of the size of this project.

ps. I used bristol paper as my backing for both projects.



The bristol paper is much larger than what I will actually need for the frame, but I wanted to give myself some wiggle room because I wasn't really sure how I wanted the stripes to appear in the frame.



This blue paint is from my living room; it's the color I painted the walls.  Right after painting the paper - I peeled off the tape.



This didn't go as well as I would have liked.  The tape pulled up a lot of the bristol paper and left lots of messy edges.

Now, normally this would bug the heck out of me and it would have been in the trash .02 seconds after I saw this mess.  But strangely enough, I didn't really care.  This simple project is sort of a place holder until I can find something more interesting to fill the frame.



Besides, from farther away, it doesn't look too bad.  As I look at this, I sort of feel like it needs a little something else.  Hmm...I'll have to think about it.



This 8x10 canvas is another piece that I will be putting on the shelf.  This was a super simple project.  I found an ampersand (&) sign that I liked and then traced it onto card stock.  I cut that out and traced it onto the canvas and then pained it.   The gray paint was from when I painted the inside of the corner bookshelf.



This little coo-coo clock is a project that I finished in early December when I first started getting into embroidery.  I swear I ironed it before I put it into the frame, but it still looks wrinkly.  I think that is because the stitches are pulling on the fabric.  Oh well, I still like it.



This is a Christmas gift from my older sister, Esther.  It's awesome.  Normally, I'm not a fan of these posters.  They have been over done and it's getting old, which is why I pinned this on Pinterest.  But I love this one.  It's just so completely true of me, which makes it perfect.  And it's blue - so it matches my room.

The only thing I have left to do is fill the largest frame I bought (11x15).  I have something completely different that I want to do with that, but I'll tell you about it later.  For now, I'll just work on getting up the guts to hang this shelf myself and that could take months.

1 comment:

  1. I love all of it Gin! I can't wait to see the finished product

    ReplyDelete