Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My Addiction

When I first started my career in teaching, I had a lot of things to keep track of; I needed to do this, copy that, print those, and make that.  There are lots and lots of things I need to remember to make sure that I am prepared and that every day goes smoothly.  As a new teacher, I had to find a way to remember everything all at once (for me, this is next to impossible).  Through much trial and error, I came up with a solution.

Lists. Lists. Lists. 

As soon as I think about what I need to do, I write it down.  This strategy has been tremendously helpful in keeping me on track and prepared for teaching each class, but I'm starting to become concerned that things have gotten out of hand.


It looks like a pad of post-its exploded on my desk!  As I was leaving my office a few days ago, I looked down and realized how out of control this habit has become.  Honestly, I'm not going  to change anything because this is most definitely working, but it's just a little crazy.



Each post-it has a purpose.

1 - how many copies to make for that grade
2 and 3 - where each class stopped in the video
4 - what extra materials I need to bring from home
5 - number of students in each grade
6 and 7 - contact info
8 - "make copies" reminder
9 - student injury info
10 and 11 - tasks that need to be completed
12 - an event coming up in February

The feeling I get when I get to cross each item off the list is wonderful.  That feeling is only beaten by the feeling I get when I throw the whole thing away.  It's one more thing I don't have to worry about doing.  Number four cracks me up because I use that little notebook to write down all the info about the upcoming Health lessons.  So basically, I have a list within a list.  

Sigh, I'm so weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment