Thursday, January 26, 2012

Day 7 - Ham and Cheese Turnovers

First off, if you are wondering why this post is a day late, allow me to explain.  I signed up to help with the sports club at my school, so I don't get home until 5pm on Tuesdays.  That means that I am at work from 7am-5pm.  By the time I get home I'm tired, cranky, and need food NOW.  Making dinner was too exhausting that night, so I moved dinner to Wednesday.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled program.



Oh my word, what a disaster! For Day 7 of my challenge, I chose to make ham and cheese turnovers.  This recipe was recommended by my younger sister, Charlotte.  This was one crazy dinner.  I blame it on Char because she picked it.  I'm the middle child, nothing is ever my fault (ask my family, they know).

Actually, I can't really complain.  I made it through six very homemade dinners before failing.



One of the most appealing things about this recipe was the number of ingredients.  Seven very simple ingredients, that should be easy enough right?  Well, it was, except for the pizza dough.  I spent 5 minutes just looking for the dough.

The weirdest thing was that when I was searching all over for the dough, I passed a family and the mom said "let's go get the dough."  Not gonna lie, I actually started semi-following them.  But when they headed toward the other end of the store I thought to myself wrong way, idiots.  When I finally made it to the deli (who knew frozen dough is found in the deli), they were already there picking out their dough.  Dang it, I should have kept following them!

Lesson learned: keep following random people.



Oh my.  Oooooh my.




To thaw the dough, the directions told me to put it in the fridge for 24 hours or leave it at room temp for 4-6 hours.  The latter wasn't an option, so I popped it in the fridge.  When I got home, it definitely had not risen so I called Char for a suggestion.  She has read that you can get dough to rise quickly by heating up water, putting a cookie sheet over it, and placing the dough on top.  So I did just that.



Note to self, don't boil the water.  Too hot!  I don't know much anything diddly squat about dough, but I kinda figured that this color change wasn't supposed to happen.



The next step was rolling out the dough.  I don't own anything big enough to roll the dough on, so I used the counter.  Oh my.  Mistakes: didn't put flour on the counter, didn't put flour on the wine bottle, and definitely didn't put flour on my hands - at least, not until it was too late.  In case you are wondering, I don't own a rolling pin, so the wine bottle was my substitute and it worked really well.

The recipe told me to cut the dough into triangles.  I figured I could just use my pizza cutter.  Mistakes: not having the dough on a cutting surface and not owning a pizza cutter.  Seriously, I know I have one, but I could not find it anywhere.  I'm wondering if I accidentally got rid of it when I rearranged the kitchen a few weeks ago.  My bad.

Needless to say, my triangles were a hot mess.


Ham and Cheese Turnovers
Oh yeah, mine definitely look as good as the one from the website; mine may even look better.  Just in case you couldn't tell the difference, my turnovers are pictured on the left.  We wouldn't want any confusion about which is which.  Both photos just look so appetizing.  Yes, I'm being sarcastic.  No, contrary to how it looks, I did not have a 2 year old assemble my turnovers.

The recipe said I would be able to make 8 turnovers, but I was only able to make six.  Oops.



I popped them in the oven and then it was time to wait.  Charlie doesn't like the waiting part - she just likes the eating part.



As much as I totally failed, they tasted fine-ish.  I'm pretty sure the dough wasn't cooked all the way, though.



The best of the worst
I cooked them until they were golden and crisp scorched.  They tasted fine, they really did, but it was definitely not my best effort.  I'm proud of myself for getting out of my chicken/rice comfort zone, but this was a hot mess.  When I read the recipe, I wasn't even the least bit intimidated by the dough, but it ended up being the source of all my problems.  


Totals:
1 shopping trip
2 phone calls
0 iPhone searches
75 minutes
$13 
1 dinner
2 lunches


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the good laugh! Better luck with dinner #8!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, i love that you're doing this and wanted to suggest Our Best Bites....they're blog is all recipes that are super easy, super inexpensive, and all involve ingredients that you usually already have...sometimes there's a different one in there, but they are the only recipes we even use. There's even a section called 30-minute meals that are so fast and SO delicious....check it out! you won't be disappointed....i suggest doing the Cowboy Quesadillas for your first try! so good and so easy and delicious! goodluck!

    www.ourbestbites.com

    ReplyDelete