Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 6: Lighter General Tso's Chicken

Wow, where do I start?  I've made some foods that I really love, but this may be my all time favorite.  I made Martha Stewart's recipe for Lighter General Tso's Chicken and it was so good.  Oh my gosh.  So good.



It seems that with every new recipe, I also have to tackle a new grocery store process. This week it was ginger. The recipe called for fresh ginger, which of course I couldn't find. Instead I got the stuff in the little container.  This led to phone call #1 - I called my mom to see if that would work.  I got the thumbs up and moved on.
Dear Giant, I have a bone to pick with you.  Your chicken section is gross.  I hate raw meat; can we just skip that part and instead have you deliver the meat directly to the countertop in my kitchen?  That way I wouldn't have touch the nasty, styrofoam mess that you call a package.  Ok, thanks.  Love, Ginner
Anyway, on my way home from Giant, Char returned my call and I asked her about the ginger, too.  Here is something that I learned:
         The ginger root is not nearly as strong as the spice in the container.  If you are using the spice in the
         container instead of the root, only use a fraction of what the recipe calls for.  Very good to know!


The recipe has the whole process laid out in four simple steps.  It still amazes me how four little steps can have me so flustered!  As I worked my way through the recipe, I realized that I looked at the recipe about once every 5 seconds.

Ok, I need to add 1/4 tsp salt.  No prob.  Ok, that was salt right?  Yeah.  Wait, how much?  1/4 tsp.  Is this the 1/4 tsp. measuring spoon?  Yup, ok good.  Wait, it's 1/4 tsp of salt, right?  Yeah, ok, go.

Unfortunately, that is exactly how it goes.


My biggest obstacle was preparing the snow peas.  I've never done it before, but you've got to learn somewhere, right?  So it's a good thing I have this iPhone or I might have needed to make a third phone call!  Wikipedia ended up giving me the most descriptive description.  Thanks Wikipedia.



Eventually I got to the last step and everything was going great.  Once again, I loaded up the dishwasher and got my lunch containers out and ready to go.  I learned my lesson with the asparagus, so I did not add all the snow peas that I was supposed to.

Then it was time for my favorite part...




Now I understand why Emeril says BAM so often.  That's what it felt like when I ate this meal.  BAM!  I literally closed my eyes and I let out a long mmmmmm.  Then I looked at Charlie and said out loud, "This is so good."  She was the only one around to tell and I had to tell somebody.



I do not claim to be a food stylist (obviously), so I'm sorry this does not look as good as it tastes.  Seriously, it's so good.  I just hope that it proves to be just as good when I reheat it and eat it for lunch for the next 3 days.

Oh, I did make some changes to the recipe.
1. I am a huge wuss when it come to spicy foods (mild wings make me sweat), so I left out the red pepper flakes.
2. I only used half the garlic the recipe calls for.  Garlic is not my most favorite thing, so I use it sparingly.

Is anyone else noticing a pattern in the recipe choices I make?  It usually seems to be chicken and rice of some variation.  I try to expand my palate, but I sort of suck at it.

Totals:
1 shopping trip
2 phone calls
1 iPhone search
90 minutes (from start to an empty plate)
1 dinner
3 lunches

Again, it was so good.




4 comments:

  1. hey girl! i seriously love your work and love your blog!

    follow mine, if you wish of course...

    http://allieandhusband.blogspot.com

    allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome! That's my favorite part of cooking, I get to eat exactly what I'm in the mood for and it's healthier and (mostly) cheaper: )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just trying a comment to see if it's working now! Can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey...it worked just fine!

    ReplyDelete