Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Dark and Dirty

Paton Terrace Kitchen contemporary kitchen
click for link
I wish this was my kitchen.  I wish I lived in such splendor.   It's bright and airy.  It has so many drawers.  I love drawers.  I love them so much I want to marry them.  I love the contrast of the white cabinets with the dark island.  It's just awesome.



My kitchen is far from perfect and sadly, there is nothing I can do to fix it.  I'm not painting this room - it's just not worth it.  I can't paint the cabinets, I can't change the floor, and I can't add a backsplash.  I have been spending a lot more time in the kitchen lately and the layout has started to become very annoying.  I spend most of my time in front of the stove making dinner.  

I also spend of a lot of my time twirling around.  Everything I need for cooking is spread all over the place and I turn in circles as I get ready for dinner.  Aside from making me dizzy, it adds extra time to dinner.  Now I understand why kitchen layouts are so important.  I could stand it no longer so it was time for a rearrange!



Before

After
The first step in this rearrange was to move the cooking utensils and measuring spoons next to the stove.  This should stop all the twirling as I make dinner.  It's nice to have everything in one spot!




Before

After
The best decision I made during this rearrange was to move the plastic containers.  Do you remember that commercial where the lady opens the cabinets, only to have a waterfall of plastic containers knock her over?  Yeah, that was me, like every day. 




Before

After
The plastic containers have found a new home in the pretzel box.  Now, I have no lofty expectations that everything will remain organized in that box, but at least I won't have it falling on me all the time!  Even with putting that big box in this lower cabinet, I was still able to gain more room for the my growing collections of pots and pans.  


I have lived on my own for almost 4 years and have survived with 3 pots and 2 pans.  In the last 2 weeks, I've had to buy two pans.  The others just weren't big enough or deep enough for my cooking needs.  Since starting this Awkward Chef challenges, I've also found that I actually enjoy shopping in the kitchen section at stores.  This is started to get weird, people!  Am I starting to like cooking? 




Before

After
This is one of those places in the kitchen that really gets neglected.  It holds items and appliances that I rarely use.  Well, when I need it at least now I'll be able to find it!




One of the perks of moving everything around is that my countertop is almost empty!  Whenever I make dinner I get everything out and measure before I begin cooking.  Having more counter space next to the stove will come in very handy! 


There may not be any cosmetic changes to this dark and dirty kitchen, but I can feel the organization and that is a very good thing.

2 comments:

  1. hey girl! i love your work!

    follow my new blog, if you wish of course....

    http://allieandhusband.blogspot.com/

    allie

    ReplyDelete