Monday, December 19, 2011

Introducing Jane


After saving up, researching, and debating whether or not to do it - I finally did it.  I got myself a camera.  Say hello to Jane.  Jane is a Canon EOS Rebel T3i.  She is amazing.  I am deeply in love.

My dad generously lent me his Canon Rebel XT for the past year.  It all started with me borrowing it for a week.  Well, a week turned into a month, a month turned into 3 months and then, before I knew it, I started calling it "my camera."  I have been debating whether or not to get my own camera for a few months.  I thought "Can a new camera really upgrade my photos or do I just need a new lens?"



This is definitely an upgrade.  I took these photos with the same camera settings and lighting.  Jane was spectacularly better than the old camera.  I have no idea why, but she was better.



The first thing I did Saturday morning (before even getting out of bed) was grab my camera.  It has been sitting on the nightstand from the previous evening.  I felt like a kid on Christmas; I just wanted to play with my new toy.  Though both images are grainy, You can see that the new camera was able to give me a faster shutter speed, which gave me a focused picture.



sorry for the poor quality - I had to resort to using my phone.
One of the main reasons I was looking forward to getting this camera (aside from the awesome photo quality) was the large screen.  The information is organized nicely and the back gives me a great view of my photos after I take them.  Also, the screen flips outs and rotates.  It gives you the ability to hold the camera above or below your head and still see what the camera sees.



Seriously, look at how big that is!  Is it just me, or does Charlie look cuter on this awesome screen?



One of the simple changes that I'm really loving is the size of the grip.  It's wider and fits my hand better.  Since I don't use a strap it's nice to feel like I have a strong grip on the camera.




Of course I tested out the camera on my favorite subject.  She may not have been thrilled that I ignored her hot dog, but I was thrilled with the quality of this picture.  Low lighting indoors with no flash?  Impossible with the old guy, completely possible with my new girl.  Don't worry Mom, I threw the hot dog after I took the picture.



I took this photo using the fold out screen.  I could actually see myself instead of just guessing.



After a long night of fighting traffic, shopping, experimenting, photo taking, and puppy playing it was time for bed.

It may have taken me months to finally take the plunge and buy a new camera, but it only took me minutes to get in the car and go find it.  I kept my parents updated on the camera search via text.  After telling them that I finally got it, we had this conversation:

Mom: Congratulations!
Me: Thanks! I can't wait to open it!!
Mom:  Dad wants to know if you are waiting for Christmas? hehe
Me: haha, actually yes.  And to quote Elf "Treat every day like Christmas." 
Mom: We are both lol!

I don't think I'll ever get used to my parents using "LOL."

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm totally jealous. I'm still using the little Canon PowerShot like you had a few years back. No way can I keep up with you!!! Congrats and there really is an amazing difference in quality of photos. Technology is moving so fast it's hard to keep up with it!!! P.S. I still have my Canon AE-1 that uses 35mm film but not even sure if they sell film any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with that last picture of Charlie! Something about that shot. She looks like she is laying there looking at the tree and dreaming of the presents she is going to get :-). Guess I need to go shopping.

    ReplyDelete