Friday, December 9, 2011

I'm a little bit Classic Casual...

You're a little eclectic - in the worst way possible.

The dining room is a constant source of frustration.  It does not look at all how I want it to look.  It's crowded and mismatched; too much country and not enough contrast.  

This room will be my next project.  Unfortunately, dining room redos are never cheap; paint, new table, new chairs, chandelier (in my dreams), and centerpieces.  Thus, this redo will be a very slow process.

Here's what I'd like to do, but (I'll warn you now) I'm not sure how much of this will actually happen:
-new table *dark stain, modern style
-chandelier *this will never happen in an apartment
-paint walls
-real artwork for the walls *preferably some beautiful lettering

I can't decide if it's worth it to try and redo this table, or get a new one.  All I see when I look at that table is sanding, sanding, sanding.  I hate sanding and so do my arms.  It's completely exhausting.  Plus, the style of the table is not really my thing.

The table issue is yet to be resolved, but there is an end in sight for the double bookshelf problem.  Who needs two bookshelves in one tiny room?  Not only that, who needs two dented/broken/cheap bookshelves in one tiny room?  Not me.
HEMNES Sofa table, black-brown Length: 62 5/8 " Width: 15 3/4 " Height: 29 1/8 " Max load/shelf: 33 lb  Length: 159 cm Width: 40 cm Height: 74 cm Max load/shelf: 15 kg
click for link

I will soon be adding this handsome gentleman to my dining room.  I plan to put him underneath the frames on my wall.  This side table doesn't match the dining table, but the table will not be around forever (hopefully).

This little baby will be coming home with me after Christmas break.  I plan on making an Ikea trip over my break and spending some major bucks.  This shelf isn't cheap, but it's worth it.  It's 62" long and will fit wonderfully into the dining room (I just measured).

Painting the dining room is something I've been thinking about for quite some time.  Living in an apartment doesn't make my decorating life easy.  Painting a room is not just painting a room - I have to think about painting it back myself or paying the fine if I let the apartment people paint it back.  Either way, I'm getting fed up with the state of my dining room and I have a feeling something drastic is about to happen - with careful planning, of course.


  1. I bet you could sell that table and chairs. Your mom, Zack, Grandma and I got that set in Canton, TX and it's definitely done it's duty for quite a few years. I love the bookcase you plan to get. It's a good one for a dining room...any room. Looking forward to the next room makeover!!

  2. K so i have that exact same white bookshelf, or one similar that i bought from walmart and just recently i saw these two posts and was sold on the skirted table!!!! Which is something you could easily do with that white bookshelf so you would still have storage and it would look beautiful!! I know you already have plans for furniture under your gallery wall, but on the smaller wall it would add something really nice i think....the first link is a picture of one that i really love! The second link is a great tutorial on how to do them!! Good luck!!! And i agree with your Auntie Karen, you could totally sell that table and chairs....


  3. Hi Allie! Thanks so much for those links. I've seen that idea before, but I've never seen it look so nice! Thanks for sharing!