Monday, December 12, 2011

I am so going to regret this...

Here's one thing you don't know about me: I hate cooking.  I hate being in the kitchen.  I despise touching raw anything.  I hate having dirty hands.  The smell of eggs makes me want to vomit.

Ok, so that was several things you don't know about me, but there is a good reason for me sharing this with you today.  Honestly, if this post even sees the light of day, I will be very impressed with myself.  I'm about to do something I will regret.

Wait, let's back up a bit...

Cooking has never been something that I enjoy.  I know how to boil water, chicken, and noodles (though I'm never sure if they are actually done or if I'm just being impatient).  I make wonderful toast.  Grilled cheese and just-add-water pancakes are about as complicated as I get in the kitchen.  I keep praying that if I get married, the man I am head-over-heels in love with will be a chef (or at least have a passion for cooking).

Ok, now that you have all the background information you can stand, here is my plan:



I am going to make myself a homemade meal every Tuesday.  


There I said it - for all of blogland to see.  No just-add-water, premade junk for this girl.  Real, home cooked meals from here on out...on Tuesdays.  I will try something new each week and challenge myself to learn new techniques and tricks.

Putting this plan on my blog means that I actually have to follow through, every week, no matter what.  I'm sure that Mom, Esther, and Charlotte are doing the happy dance right now.   One day a week may not sound like a lot to those of you that are natural chefs, but to me it's pretty horrifying.  Part of the reason I don't enjoy cooking is because I don't understand it.  I'm a visual learner.  I have a very hard time reading directions and understanding what I'm supposed to do.  I also need directions to be extremely precise, which is not always true of recipes.  Don't tell me "6-8 minutes".  Which is it? 6 or 8?  C'mon, people!

On Wednesday, I'll post about my wonderful success or my complete failure.  I won't be posting step by step instructions; this isn't a cooking blog.  I'll just let you know what I made and how it went.

So there it is, folks.  Now to begin...I think I'll start in the kid-friendly section of foodnetwork.com.  I think that category matches my ability level.

6 comments:

  1. i am encouraged by your willingness to try cooking!!!!!!!!!!! i think i may have to join you in your challenge. ok, here we go! love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I'm visiting you guys, I'll be sure to stop by your place on a Tuesday!!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at www.thepioneerwoman.com. She has tons of recipes in 2 different sections of her blog, all with step by step directions and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is an excellent idea! I think you will actually end up kind of enjoying it. I'm excited to see what you cook first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a new follower, found you through Pinterest
    Donna G.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Donna, Thanks for following me! It's nice to meet you :)
    -Virginia

    ReplyDelete