Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Day 2: Curry

It's 7pm and I'm just now relaxing for the first time all day.  It was one of those crazy days when I would have gotten take-out on the way home instead of bothering to make dinner.  Luckily for me, I had a resolution to uphold.  Is it wrong that I'm already sort of regretting this and it's only day 2? Ok I'm not regretting it, I'm just pretty tired, but you don't need to hear about that!  Moving on...

Curry is one of my favorite meals.  It might actually be my favorite.  It's pretty simple - curry sauce + rice + toppings = delicioso!  The rice and toppings are super simple, but the curry sauce is the difficult part.  Since I don't have a link to this family recipe, here is the card with all the info:


I left rice and chicken off of the ingredients list because theose are the ingredients just for the sauce.  For this meal I made 4 servings of rice and I will run out of rice before I run out of curry sauce.




This step was super easy this week!  I didn't even have to do any Google searches!  I had most of what I needed on hand and only had to pick up 4 things.  On my way into work Monday morning I needed to stop at Giant, since I was already there I grabbed the few things I needed.  I have never been in and out of Giant so quickly.  It took me all of 10 minutes, no joke!  And I was even all over the store - I started in the cold section and had to get all the way to the veggie section, with some stops along the way.  Not bad for 10 minutes.

That short amount of time will definitely go into the "Pro" column for shopping at 6:40am.  But I must say, the creepy guy waxing the floor definitely goes in the "Con" column.  He almost ran me over once, no lie.



Step 2 was pretty difficult tonight.   Of course, it started with a phone call to my mom so she could walk me through making the sauce since there were no pictures to follow.

There is a lot of prep for curry.  I started by cooking the chicken and rice, grating the cheese, dicing the tomatoes, and getting everything ready for lunches.  Now I have a better understanding of why my mom puts us all to work on curry night...and why we don't have curry very often - I'm pooped.

The sauce was pretty difficult for me.  And talk about a disaster - when my mom made curry at my apartment back in September, we froze the leftover chicken broth.  Well, two days ago I put it in the fridge to thaw.  I needed two cups and after two days of thawing I could only get 1/2 a cup.  So I stuck it in the microwave...1/2 cup and 10 minutes later, I ripped the frozen block out of the package and put it on the stove.  About 2 minutes later I was good to go.  Why didn't I put it on the stove in the first place?  Lesson learned.



It's all about the prep people - once the sauce is ready it's time to eat!  As you can see, I even had my lunches ready to be packed; not to mention the toppings already in their little containers in the fridge.  I only made two lunches since I only have two days left before break, but I have enough sauce left for three more.



The dog was waiting in her normal spot.  She only sits in the kitchen with me when I'm cutting something because she knows she'll get a piece and she is always right.  What can I say?  The girl loves tomatoes.  She takes after her owner.  Once the real work begins, she clears out.

I'm not sure how long this whole meal took, but I can tell you that I watched about half an episode of Grimm and at least two Frasier episodes (maybe more) before I was ready to eat.  I'm hoping that the more I make curry, the faster I will get.






I have never been so excited to eat - mostly because I was excited to sit down!  I made curry once before and it was terrible - I accidentally used regular milk instead of condensed milk; a mistake I will never make again.



My favorite toppings for curry are tomatoes, cheese, and mandarin oranges.  Sometimes I add pineapple, but only when I'm feeling adventurous, and  don't get very adventurous with my food.

One thing that I wasn't happy with was the thickness of my sauce.  My mom's curry sauce is always thick and delicious.  Mine was still delicious, but not so much on the thick side.  I either a) did something wrong or b) was too impatient.  I'm going to go with B - that's my final answer, Regis.

Either way, I'll be very proud to eat this for my next two lunches because I made it all myself.  The best part is that I have plenty of sauce leftover so I can eat it for dinner as well.  By the way, this meal is just as good reheated as it is the night you make it.

Totals:
1 shopping trip
1 phone call
0 iPhone searches
90 minutes
$8 (this could be more depending on what you need) 
1 dinner
5 lunches



Why is she the one curled up in bed when I'm the one that did all the hard work?  This is a question I ask myself almost everyday.  It's a question I will never have an answer to.

It's currently 8pm on Tuesday night and I have big plans: take the dog out and hit the sack.  Yup.  Big plans, people. Big plans.  Adios!



1 comment:

  1. I wish I liked this recipe but I never have liked curry seasoning, pretty much a main ingredient of this recipe called Curry! Congrats Ginner! There's no doubt in my mind you are already well on your way to being a GREAT cook!!!

    ReplyDelete