I had big plans to make my own to match the gray in my room. The first step was procuring paint chips, lots of paint chips. I know that paint chips are technically free, but it sure felt like stealing. I went to Lowe's and grabbed the entire batch of chips matching my wall color. I knew that wouldn't be enough, so I went to another Lowe's that same night. Making this chandelier was something I really wanted to do, but I can say with 95% certainty that I was sweating as I put the paint chips into my purse. I'm pretty sure I'd be the worst thief ever.
After obtaining my paint chips, I bought a couple of lamp shades. I measured each one and estimated how many rows of paint chips I would need. I ended up going with the smaller shade because I didn't have enough paint chips to finish the big one...unless I wanted to steal more...which I didn't...because I didn't want to have a heart attack...during which they would search my purse for my ID and discover the mother load...that would result in me getting kicked out of Lowe's for the rest of my life.
Oh yeah, my mind went there.
Using a large hole punch I got from Michael's or AC Moore, I made circles from the chips. After deciding the length for the top and bottom strands, I started putting my strands together.
With some help from Mom, I sewed the strands onto the top and bottom of the lampshade. I'll tell you what, this was not an easy process.
This bottle worked pretty well to hold up the shade while I was sewing. I'd give it a solid B for effort, but I could have done better.
I got a little creative with some masking tape and then I set the lamp shade on top to prop it up while I was working.
It was long and slow, but I finally had the finished project. At first I thought altering the length would make it look nice. I eventually scrapped that plan and just went with equal lengths all the way around.
I have mixed feelings about this "chandelier." First off, it's too small to be the lone fixture above my bed (I now have bigger and better plans for that space). Also, the gradient isn't quite what I want it to be. I don't like how obvious the horizontal stripes are. Looking back, I wish I would have done the top 5 pieces in each strand the same light gray, and done the bottom two pieces the darkest gray. It would have looked more intentional.
On the other hand...
I love having it above my desk. It's perfect. Also, in case that cord is driving you crazy like it did me, I moved it into the corner. It took me about 20 minutes to go absolutely crazy and then I moved it.
It's been a long time since I did this project. I finished it in the middle of September, hung it up 2 weeks ago, and I'm just now posting it. I didn't post it sooner because I'm not 100% happy with it. I can live with 60%...until I find something better or get up the courage to "borrow" some more paint chips.