Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My Blog Life

I'm a big picture kinda girl.  I need to be able to see everything at once, so I'm very fond of calendars.  When I plan my lessons for school, I write the topic/skill on each day and then work on the lesson after the month is thoroughly planned.

This is what my calendar looked like during my first year of teaching.  I've tweaked it here and there over the past 2 years, but its pretty much the same.  Color coding is my friend.  I don't need to explain the details because you really don't care, but this shows you my process.   

Now, please don't get the impression that I'm a super planner and can only do things that are on the schedule three months in advance.  Not so.  I can be spontaneous, but I've found that as a teacher I need to be planned and prepared in advance.  I go through post-it notes like I go through oxygen: lists lists lists.  If I don't write it down, there is a 95% chance that I will not remember to do it.

It's the same for my blogging life.  If I don't write down an idea as soon as I think of it, it can be lost forever. I used to carry a little notebook around to write things down, but I that quickly changed because I like using my iPhone better.  I bought this calendar/markerboard strictly for blogging.

When I set the goal of 5 posts a week for this blog, I knew a calendar would be a necessity for me.  Plus, I get some serious satisfaction when the month fills up.  This blog is my hobby and gives me something to do with my evenings so I don't waste away in front of the tv with the pooch.  But five posts a week is not always easy.  I get a lot of motivation when I look at my calendar because I don't want an empty day.  It motivates me to get creative and get writing.

Part of being a planner is the joy of starting fresh.  I love erasing the month and moving on.  After I erase the month, I sit back in my chair, breath a sigh of relief that I am actually making progress, and start all over again.  No lie, that is actually what I do.

November holds a lot of excitement and I can't wait to get started.  I'm going to be spending my weekends with good friends and family and one special guy named Cameron.

This weekend is going to be especially lovely.  Mom is coming down Thursday night so we can watch the premier of Bones together.  Bones is preggo and I can't wait to see what happens.  If Booth and Bones don't kiss in the first episode I will probably explode.  I've been waiting 6 seasons for this, people.

Also, Mel is coming over Saturday and we have some sweet plans.  In Mel's own words -
 i can drive there after work and we can chill the rest of the day?! does that work?! maybe go shopping or just eat crappy food and watch crappy tv and love every second of it?!
You know you have a good friend when you're big plans to actually leave the house are pushed aside because you'd prefer to talk and laugh over trashy tv.  I'm looking forward to every second of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment