Friday, November 4, 2011

Fabric Pom Poms

Spoiler Alert! : I'm sleepy (a.k.a. this will be a short post)

Today was a long day at school.  We had parent/teacher conferences so we were there until 8pm.  I'm a little too tired to write a long and detailed post.  Sorry, this little project will have to do.


This little pom pom was made using straight pins, felt circles, and styrofoam.  Honestly, it could not be a simpler process.  If I can do this, you can do this.

I found this tutorial from Once Wed via Pinterest (big surprise, right?).  In this tutorial they used hot glue to secure it all together.  I love hot glue, but I think it's a pain to work with because all the little stringy pieces get EVERYWHERE.  Plus, I was using a styrofoam ball, which gave me the option of using straight pins.  Once I cut out all my cirlces, I started folding and pinning.  Before I knew it, I was done.  This is a 2 1/2 inch ball, but the felt added about 2 inches to the diameter.

The only problem is that I did it in hot pink thinking I was going to screw it up.  I didn't want to use the felt I really needed for the practice pom pom.  This hot pink ball is currently on it's way to Charlotte (but Char, if you don't want it that's totally fine).

I plan on making some more pom poms using the 2 inch balls I have and sticking them in the tree.  I don't think I'll even hang them on the branches.  I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to just shove them in.  Only time will tell...


4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the fully decorated tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh wow, I have been reading your blog this whole weekend (with breaks, as life keeps interrupting me) I've only reached June this year though. Must-keep-going!
    Just wanted to give back since you have inspired me SO SO SO much!
    I am also a huge nerd, I miss Firefly, and each Christmas I watch Star Wars. oh and yes, I love to create things and improve my home (that I share with my bf and 2 lively dogs) I think I also might have Tetrisitis..

    Anyway, you have a fan from Iceland :) I'm your new blogster (blog+stalker)
    P.S. I somehow stumbled onto your blog from Pinterest(Hneta)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beta! Hello from Pennsylvania! Thanks so much for reading my blog! Though, I must tell you, don't read much further back than November...earlier posts are pretty terrible. Just being honest!

    It's nice to know there are fellow nerds out there! Star Wars is a definite favorite! I'm so glad I could inspire you and I can't wait to see your projects on your blog! And thanks to Google Translator, I'll actually be able to read it!

    Say Hello to Iceland for and give your dogs a pat on the back from me! Us dog lovers need to stick together! -Virginia

    ReplyDelete