Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Embroidery, Take 1

About a week ago, my mom sent me a book called Doodle Stitching (you can read more about that in this post).  Throughout last week I practiced my stitches on felt, but I didn't really have all the materials I needed.  When I went to dinner with my parents last Friday, my mom generously lent me her supplies and some scrap fabric.

This little raccoon was my fist project.  He's pretty cute, right?  I used a template from the book I mentioned above and traced it onto my fabric.

I used several different kinds of stitches, but my favorite is the stem stitch.  I used the stem stitch on the gray lines that make the raccoon stripes.  I love that it looks twisted.

In this picture, you can see the blue marker that I used to trace the pattern onto the fabric.  When I wash the fabric with some water, those blue lines should go away.

I know it doesn't look amazing, but I am pretty pleased with my first attempt.  Luckily, the front doesn't look like the back...

Oh goodness, this makes me laugh.

Do you see those purple loops?  Yeah, they are definitely not supposed to be there.  Some of the chaos is from using the same thread to move to different areas of the design, but the loops are definitely not supposed to be there.

Look at that mess in the top right!  Ha!  How did that even happen?!  I'm starting to wonder if there was a little elf behind my fabric purposefully tying knots.

Thankfully, the mess is hidden and the front still looks cute.  I think I'll turn this guy into an ornament for my tree.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment