Monday, November 21, 2011

Book Page Ornaments

I recently saw these ornaments at Anthropologie and I thought "I can make that!"  It turned out to be easier than I thought.

You will need:
foam core board (mine is 3/16in)
mod podge
paint brush
an old book
rotary mat (or cardboard) for cutting
exacto knife




Here's how my project turned out.   The first thing I did was choose my font and sizing on my computer.  I tried not to pick a font with too many curves because I knew that would be very difficult to cut out.   After printing out a copy, I traced it onto my foam core board.  It's very simple: just lay the printed sheet onto of the foam and trace with a blunt object (I used a pen).  This will leave an indent which you can use as your cutting line.

Put your foam on your cutting mat or cardboard and start cutting.  I took it slow and didn't try to cut the whole way through on the first go around.  It took a couple of passes to go all the way through.  Don't worry about your cutting lines being completely perfect, it gets covered up anyway.



Here is the cut out shape of my ampersand before it is covered.  Each ornament I made is about 4 inches tall and required one page from the book for full coverage.  Considering that Jane Eyre is a very long book, I still have about 394 pages to use for future crafts.  Jane Eyre has been sitting on my bookshelf for years, so this was a freebie.  Gotta love freebies.  If you don't have any old books laying around, pick up one from a thrift store.  I shredded my pages by hand before using the mod podge so I could work without stopping.



The paint brush was used to put mod podge on the foam and the paper.  Once they were all glued up, I stuck the paper onto the foam and then used the brush to push the paper around the letter.  I wore plastic gloves because I hate having to get mod podge off my fingers; it's such a long process.   Plus, I found that using my fingers to push down the paper was much easier/faster than the paint brush.



When I finished up the ornaments, I took a second look and decided I hated those blank spaced.  At first, I didn't think I would mind because they looked aged and I liked that.  Yeah, not so much after a few hours.  So I went back and recovered them.



I gotta say, I love the finished product.  It was so simple and easy.  I made these for my friend Kristin and I was very excited to give them to her for her birthday.




Happy Birthday Krit!

3 comments:

  1. Those came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter and her fiancé are journalists. I've been trying to think of a cute but meaningful wedding shower "signature" decoration-- using their names and professions. I think this is what I was looking for. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete