Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Armed and Dangerous

My DIY tree is really coming along.  I guess I should stop saying "DIY tree" because it's more like "DIY ornaments."  Whatever, just go with it.

Mom sent me back to my apartment armed to the teeth.  I've got everything I need to get this tree in shape - needles, thread (actually, I think it's called floss), scissors, tomato pin cushion, templates, and buttons.

This is the first ornament I made for my tree.  Before I dissect it's imperfections, let me just say that I love it and I'm keeping it.  Forever.  I drew a template for my little bird and (after a few lessons from Mom) hand sewed it all together.  The stitching is uneven, the cutting is sloppy, and the stuffing is falling flat.  There's also another major flaw...

I made two of the same side so I couldn't face them back to back.  The wing I sewed for the opposite side is now in the middle.  Ha!  That is mostly why I'm keeping this messed up fowl.  Char and I got such a laugh over this mess of a project that I just have to keep it.

Though this project was a big flop, many of my other ornaments are looking adorably homemade.

This little house is proving to be one of my favorites so far.  I'm not sure why, but I'm just loving this.

I love my little house, but these are my all time fave.  These are little animal crackers.  You know you've had them, the animal crackers with the frosting.  I didn't have any pink felt or I would have done pink instead of blue.  but I'm still loving it.  In case you're wondering, there's an elephant, camel, lion, and rhino.  Most of the above designs are from Fa La La La Felt (it's got tons of ideas and great templates).

I've spent a lot of time on this project lately, but it's just so simple.  I can't resist.  Making this ornaments is not stressful in any way.  Last night I made some ornaments while laying in bed.  It's great!  I've also added a tractor, porcupine, mitten, apple, pear, bunny, and monster to my collection.  The monster turned out horribly, but it's not so bad if you're far away.

My total comes to 15 ornaments...so far.

This ornament was made for me by my mom.  It's the same fabric we used to make my stockings two years ago.  I love this ornament.  I can't wait to get it on the tree.  Is is wrong to start decorating for Christmas on November 1st?  I'm pretty sure my family might go crazy if I did, but I'm having a hard time holding back.

ps.  Happy November!  Not gonna lie, I am so glad October is over.  What a crazy freakin month.  I'm done with crazy and ready to move on to a relaxing November (I hope).

1 comment:

  1. LOVE love love! They're all fantastic, especially the animal cracker ones. You've inspired me, I'll be working on ornaments of my own shortly!