Monday, October 31, 2011

Snow In October?

I had heard via Accuweather that we were supposed to get 3-6 inches.  I thought that was way too good to be true, so I left my new boots at home.  Boy, did I ever regret that decision.


The snow is my favorite thing about winter, but normally we have to wait until January to experience the fluffy white stuff.  To have 6 inches of snow in October is a dream come true, aside from the fact that I didn't get a snow day.  What's the point of having snow on the weekend?  It ruined my plans and I still have to go to work on Monday.  Take it from me, the teachers like snow days more than the kids.



It began beautifully, but we all knew it would take a turn for the worse.  The snow was wet and heavy.


Soon enough, our upstanding trees were beginning to look a little droopy.  It was still snowing when I went out to take some pictures, so I moved quickly.  Ten minutes later I was wet, cold, and finished with my photo session.  During that 10 minutes I heard at least 6 branches snap off their trees and fall to the group with a thud.  It was a little spooky actually.  As far as I know, we only lost one branch and it came from this tree.


This is some good motivation to move quickly when taking pictures.  I couldn't wait to get back inside to this little guy and his tiger belly.


We were stuck inside for a long time, so Cam got creative.  He adopted the toy basket as his bed.  He was not happy that I made him stay in the basket so I could take a picture.  This is what it looks like when Cam yells at you.


Back to the snow...
This is our favorite tree.  It's a huge Maple that is just beautiful.  By the way, those branches are not supposed to be touching the ground.


It would be sad to lose any of our trees, but it would be heartbreaking to lose this one.  I think this old tree made it through the snow without any loses, but time will tell.


The tree on the right looked even worse a few hours after I took this picture.  Hopefully it survived.  There were a lot of branches down all around town and 50,000 people in my county were without power.  We lost power around 3pm on Saturday and as of Sunday at 5pm the power was still out.



As I drove home to my apartment, I only ran into one little snag in the road.  Other than that, my trip went very smoothly and I arrived home to working electricity safe and sound.

2 comments:

  1. So pretty! What a bummer on not getting to use your new boots. I'm sure you'll have another chance to use those!!! Happy Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last picture is totally winter on one side, fall on the other. So weird.

    ReplyDelete