Thursday, October 27, 2011

DIY Christmas

Current DIY Christmas Tree Budget: $9.03.


The planning and scheming has begun and it is mostly centered around color selection.  I found this color palette on Design Seeds.  Best site ever - I can browse endlessly.  Green doesn't really fit into my whole plan, so just pull the green out and insert yellow.

Now that I had my color scheme, I needed to find papers to match.  To keep from spending money on paper, I decided to use whatever I could from my own collection.



Surprisingly, it took me quite awhile to find a selection I was happy with.  I did finally breath a sigh of relief when I was done and knew I wouldn't be spending money on paper.  Even Hildie approves.   Actually, this is the first time I've taken a look at the photos side by side.  Not too shabby.  I think I did a pretty good job.  And not a dollar spent.



Using a tutorial from A Little Hut, I created this tear drop ornament.  I've created several actually.  I really like how they turn out.



This is what I have so far.  I have many other pieces cut out, but they aren't all put together yet.  Also, they won't hang on the tree with the string like that.  I'm sure I'll use the string because I already have it (which means no money out of my budget) and I do like the look.  It just needs tweaking.



I cut my pieces for the ornaments using this cutting pattern on my Silhouette.   The cost for the templates was $0.  I just used circles and rectangles from the Silhouette Studio.  My machine has been a little weird lately, so I have to place my designs carefully, which my brain does not like.  My brain likes things to be centered vertically and horizontally on the page.  Anyway...

The long strips are for the tear drop ornaments.  I used the inside circles for the yellow ornament above (second from the left).  The outside circles are for the purple ornament you see above.  Though it looks like there are cut lines down the center, those are actually perforated edges for folding.  This page gets me three ornaments.  Not too shabby for a page that cost me 10 cents 5 months ago when I bought it.

This Friday, my mom will be teaching my sister and me how to sew some felt ornaments.  I've got big plans for this, folks.  I'm really excited to learn how to do some nice hand sewing and I can't wait to get started.  If you want to see what I have in mind just click here to see my board on Pinterest.


1 comment:

  1. They're very pretty. I made paper ornaments every year as a way to kick off the season. Great colors too!

    ReplyDelete