Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Chicken Scratch

When I went to college and Char was in high school, we used to write notes to each other.  She's doodle at the computer and I'd doodle in class - don't worry, I had a great GPA and went to 90% of my classes (unless it was a night class then I'd have to say 65%).   After the doodle was complete the process was simple: scan and email.





If you click on the photo you will be able to see it much bigger, but you still won't be able to read Charlotte's chicken scratch.  I've been interpreting this handwriting for years, so I have most of it figured out...except for the one in the upper right, "Jerry, you're so calww"?  My favorite part of Charlotte doodles are her people.  I like the green guy.

Charlotte would get this in response:
With all those clouds, this must have happened during the weather class I took in college.  Actually, I take that back.  I loved my weather class and, since I doodled "I'm in the most boring class ever," this could not have been that class.  You can see I had a lot of time on my hands.  Also, I have no idea what baby was on the way when I wrote this.

I usually tried to hide my doodling from the professors so that they wouldn't think I was screwing around.  One time my prof walked by and saw my full page doodle.  He stopped teaching to comment on it.  Yeah, that sucked.  It's a good thing he was awesome and didn't care.  Then I had to go through the whole I-need-to-keep-my-hands-busy-to-focus speech (one I have given many times and few people believe).

Doodling has been a hobby since middle school and I don't see myself ever stopping.  I still doodle to stay focused and I still use the same pen I have always used - the Pilot G-2, fine tip only please.  I can't doodle with any other color than black, not sure why, but it makes my brain hurt if I mix colors.  I just can't do it.  Not even blue, I hate blue ink.  Bleck.



I found this paper when I was looking for my doodles.  Want to guess how old I was when I did this?  Probably around 20/21.   When you go to school for a teaching degree, you spend half of your education doing what you will someday ask your kids to do.  Actually, I'm doing a Health lesson soon about social health, I could probably use this activity and my example is already done.  Sweet.

4 comments:

  1. What you and Char do is beyond doodling! You guys are really artists. And it's pretty special when your sisters are also your best friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it "Jerry, you're so callow"? In which case I would guess it's from Mallrats, but I'm not sure. For what that's worth from a stranger. Love your blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I am not the only person who does this! I kept a 4.0 GPA all through college but nobody understood how b/c I doodled throughout every class. All of my college notebooks are filled with more doodles than actual notes. I don't understand why, but I learned so well but listening and doodling at the same time. If I attend meetings or anything of that nature, I still doodle the whole time. Your note looks awesome btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. EVW, Thanks for solving the mystery! I have never seen that movie, so no wonder I couldn't figure it out.

    Snooglerat, You are definitely not alone! I completely understand the need to doodle during class! You gotta do what you gotta do.

    ReplyDelete