Monday, September 26, 2011

That Turtle Has Balls

*Title courtesy of Auntie Sharon

During my weekend with Mom, I tackled the turtle.  It actually was much simpler than I thought it would be.  Though, using a staple gun was much more difficult than I thought it would be.

The first step was to pull it apart.  I found many, many, many pieces of foam.  This was definitely a homemade piece and it showed.

After sanding everything down, I painted on a coat of white to get things started.

Next step was the gray.  I had originally planned on painting the turtle white, but I was worried that the white fringe would just blend in.  It took 3 coats of gray to get everything just right.  That is probably because I don't have the patience to let the previous coat fully dry.  I'm just not patient, at all.  Just ask my fam, they know.

Next it was time to staple on some fabric.  One thing I learned about this process was not to stretch the fabric too tight.  Be consistant as you work your way around, the difference shows.  I consider myself to be pretty tool savvy, but stapling was a little more difficult than I anticipated for two reasons: 1.  It's hard to get the staples to go all the way in (unless you're a member of the WWE and then I'm sure you'll have no problem) and 2....

Some of the wood was a little funky and the staples just pulled right out.  Once I figured this out, the process went much better and faster.

After the fabric was secure, I started nailing on the fringe.  I bought new tacks and fringe from Joann Fabrics (that's also where I got the fabric).  I should have been more carefully during the stapling section of this redo because some of the staple are showing.  Oh well, now I know for next time.  I just eyeballed the distance between nails.  I wasn't being too particular about it.

I must say, this was my favorite makeover of the weekend.

I love seeing this under my desk.  Definitely much better than that old/gross/outdated/nasty/brown fabric.

I had originally picked out toile fabric for the turtle (I love toile.  I don't have any, but I LOVE it).  The pattern was blue and the background was cream.  Since the background was cream, the fringe needed to be cream and the tacks brown.  As I was putting all the pieces together at the store, I started to hate the whole thing.

It all started with the tacks.  Brown tacks just weren't what I wanted, then I realized something; it was all looking too old.  I wanted a modern look for this little guy and the toile on cream on brown just wasn't working for me.  I'm much happier with the contrast in this fabric and the silver tacks.  Much better.

I just noticed that Charlie inched her way into my "before" picture.  That dog just has no concept of personal space...and that's exactly why I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment