Wednesday, September 14, 2011

LeTourneau Photo Makeover

Last weekend I started redoing the frame on the left.  The picture has a story behind it, which you can read about here.  I knew the same photo would be going back in the frame, so I used it as the foundation for any changes.  The goal was to make the frame feel more modern, but still earthy.

This "brown" mat was looking a little faded, so I decided to cover it with some brown wrapping paper I had on hand.  I taped around the inside of the mat because I didn't want the spray adhesive to get onto the inner layer of the mat.  The next step was choosing the paper.

Sorry this photo is a little strange.  This part of the photo is out of focus, but it's not my fault (the photo itself is out of focus in that spot).  I laid the picture on top of 2 different wrapping papers I was thinking of using.  I ended up going with the one on the top because I liked the subtle stripes and the darker color.  The bottom paper looked too much like wrapping paper.

I wrapped the paper around the back like I did for this makeover.  The hard part was getting a clean edge on the inner section of the mat.  So I used my exacto knife and carefully scrapped away the wrapping paper to give the mat a clean edge.  It was tedious, but quick.

To get a feel for my progress, I placed the photo under the mat.  I really didn't like that black edge, so I decided to paint it white.

Here is the finished product.  I like it.  At first, I wasn't sure if I liked the white on the inside edge.  Since I had been staring at it day while working on it, it was hard for me to look at the big picture.  After a weekend away, I came back to my apartment and took another look.  I really like how it turned out and I'm happy that I get to save this part of LeTourneau that isn't even there anymore.


  1. Turned out really good!

  2. You REALLY freshened it up...looks great Gin