Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hello Yellow

Since there is yellow in my duvet cover, I wanted to get some more yellow into the room.   You've seen my yellow baskets, vase, and trash can, but I needed more.

Project #1:
My dad made these sconces awhile back (a long while) and they've been hanging in my bedroom.  I love them because my dad made them and I love the detail, but they aren't really my style.


I got permission to paint them, so I pulled out the mirrors and started sanding.  After sanding for what seemed like FOREVER, my muscles went on strike and I came to the realization that I was never going to break through the varnish...so I quit.  


I was fed up with sanding, so I just started painting.  Screw the varnish, I didn't care if it took me 7 coats of paint, I was going to win.  If you ever see them in person, do not look too close.  It was really hard to get the paint into all the nooks and crannies. I'm really glad you can't see that part because it looks pretty awful.

The mirrors weren't really my thing, so I covered them with some leftover fabric and put them back in.  I haven't quite figured out where these sconces belong in the room, but I'll let you know once I hang them up.

Project #2:
Esther gave me this frame after she couldn't sell it in a yard sale.  I liked the details a lot.  It was pretty roughed up so I didn't do any sanding, but I did wipe it down to get out dust and dirt.  For some reason, even after wiping it 3 times, there was still dirt coming from somewhere.


Wow, can you say yellow? (Cameron can) That's what I get for not taking my fabric swatch with me to Lowes.  I didn't want to buy new paint so I decided to fix the paint I already had.  Color mixing is definitely not one of my top 20 skills, which is why it took me three tries (black then white then red) to get that canary yellow to a much different color.


The new yellow perfectly matches the baskets and it looks much nicer!  I'll give you a better look at where this is hanging later, but the bedroom is not ready for it's close up just yet.  

The blue is leftover paint from the living room and the quote is from my favorite book.  I'll give you one guess.  You're right!  Pride and Prejudice (bonus points if you actually guessed correctly).   I know it's super cliche to say P&P is your favorite book, but the fact that I've read it 4 times should give me some credibility.   I love that book....what I'm not loving is my complete inability to put letters on straight.  Don't judge me! And if you do, don't tell me!

5 comments:

  1. The punch of yellow was a great move. Can't wait to see the final reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and I am totally smitten! You have great style! I am so excited to come back for more yumminess, totally becoming a follower! Thanks xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda! Thanks for your sweet compliment and thanks for becoming a follower! -Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm very much enjoying checking out your projects. i have two empty canvases, a bottle of elmer's and a can of spray paint waiting in my crafty room (or what i'm trying to make a crafty room...) to be done. so glad i found your ideas--and then your blog--on pinterest. i'll definitely be looking at more of your wonderful writings.

    have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katie, Thanks for leaving this nice comment. I'm glad you enjoy my blog. Have fun in your craft room! Someday I hope to have one of my own as well. I'm sure you'll be making many wonderful projects in there! -Virginia

    ReplyDelete