Tuesday, August 30, 2011

We Survived

Irene rocked the east coast this past weekend and my hometown was no exception.  Luckily, the worst thing we had to deal with was not being able to flush the toilet because we had no power.  TMI?  Maybe, but get over it.

Wow!  Who's hot car is that?  Oh, ha, mine.  Hey Steve!  Yes, I named my car Steve.  We are in love and we will live happily ever after.


The best part of the hurricane was that this little family decided to get rained in with us since Dad has a generator and they figured they would lose power.


My dad made this bridge for Zack when he was little and now Camo puts it to good use...as a seat.  He also hasn't quite figured out that it's not really for feet.


But that's what dads are for; they show you how bridges work.  They also tell you that feet don't belong on awesome, cool, homemade bridges.

I remember creating traffic on this bridge with Zack.  We would line all of our favorite cars and trucks on the bridge until it was completely full.  Then we would slowly drive them off the bridge.  Now, as a driver, I cannot even fathom why we thought creating traffic was fun.


Ah! I spy my duvet fabric!  Hello gorgeous, you and I will soon be united in comfy, warm goodness.  I cannot wait.

Back to the hurricane.  I am so thankful for men.  Dad and Frank stayed up for about 3 hours in the wee hours of the early morning while the sump pump flushed out the excess water in the basement.  When the electricity goes off the sump pump cannot do its job, so Frank and Dad helped it along.

During all this action, I was sleeping in my bedroom, completely unaware of what was going on...until I heard a chainsaw.  I heard a chainsaw and two people yelling back and forth.  For about 30 seconds I actually thought a tree had fallen on the house and someone was cutting it to rescue us.  I was so distracted that I put all my clothes on inside out and I didn't even know it until Char pointed it out later.  That chainsaw sound is yet to be explained, but I did find out that the two people yelling were Dad and Frank.  Phew!


This is Cam's I-just-survived-my-first-hurricane face.  I think it's a pretty cute face.

1 comment:

  1. What's up with naming your car Steve? Crazy, but three of my boyfriends in my 20's were named Steve. I do agree it's a pretty cute car, even if it did get stuck with Steve for a name. And your duvet-cover to be is going to look great! I'm so glad you are all safe and sound. Your mom, Sharon and Becky got out just in time. For the first time, being in Southern Illinois was a good thing!

    ReplyDelete