Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Homemade Art

There is a picture hanging above my computer that may seem a little juvenile for a grown woman, but there is a good explanation.

I had to take an art class in college, so I took 2D Art.  We mostly worked with paper, but one of our assignments was a black and white painting.  Part of the assignment was to create a gray scale, which is what you see below the painting.

I had never done a painting before, so when I got an A on this assignment I was very excited.  Whether it looks childish or not, I won't be getting rid of it.  I like it.

I also have some more homemade art above the bookshelf.  It was one of the first projects I worked on when I got my Silhouette machine.  It took me quite awhile to get it just right, especially since I was still figuring out my machine.

I wanted to make it look like a bookshelf...hmm, maybe I shouldn't have placed it above an actual bookshelf.  Oh well.

I use five of my favorite books for this project, well just the titles.  I used cut paper to make it look like book bindings by layering two pieces together.  The title was cut out of the top piece and layered over solid colored paper so the words were easily readable.  I stacked and leaned them to give it the look of real books.  Lastly, I added a little squirrel to give it some character.  I'm not sure why I chose the squirrel, he just seemed like the right fit for this project.

And there you have it, homemade art.

No comments:

Post a Comment