Monday, August 29, 2011

For Katie


To all of you coming over from Pinterest:
Thanks so much for stopping by!  I can't believe the how popular this little post has become.  If you decide to try this project, please send me a link so I can check it out!  I would love to see your ideas!   Also, there's a misconception going around Pinterest that you can use glue for this project.  Several people have told me that glue does not work.  Just thought I'd let you know ahead of time!  Thanks again!  

Other puffy paint posts:
Small Projects
Also, in this post I answer your puffy paint questions.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program....



When my best friend got a new apartment in Philly, I decided to make her something special.  I wanted to experiment some more with puffy paint, but I didn't want white on white.

Sorry this is a little dark, it was 10 pm when I took these photos.  Anyway...




I started this project by painting the canvas purple.  I love getting the sample size from Lowe's because it gives me the opportunity to pick the exact color I want.

You may be wondering why the carpet cleaner is in this photo.  No, Charlie did not have an accident.  While the paint was still drying I dropped the canvas, paint-side down, onto the carpet.   Luckily, with a lot of elbow grease and a little carpet cleaner, you can't even see it....I think.


The next step was choosing my font.  I wanted something scripty, but it had to work with puffy paint (i.e. simple and thin).


I taped the paper down to the desk and then laid the wax paper over top.  Even though many of the letters are connected, I traced everything individually, except the double f.   This project took me a lot longer than my last two; those big loops in the letters gave me a run for my money.


After coming up with at least one nice version of every letter, I let the puffy paint to dry over night.  When the puffy paint and canvas were dry, I laid the letters onto the canvas to check my placement.  After I got the layout right, I picked up one letter at a time, put mod podge on the back, and started gluing everything down.


You may be wondering why I chose this phrase.  It's a line from the song Party Rock, by LMFAO.  It's a fun, upbeat song that'll keep you dancing.  The last time I hung out with Katie she sang this line once every 30 seconds, so now it will forever remind me of her.

I chose this font because I wanted something a little more traditional to go with Katie's decor.


The last step was to wrap it all up and wait to give it to her.  I used my Silhouette to cut out the tag and letters, then I wrapped twine around and around until I got the look I wanted.

The good news is that...she likes it!  I'm so glad she likes it, but I'm mostly just glad to get it out of my apartment!  That song has been stuck in my head since I started this project 3 weeks ago!

19 comments:

  1. You are so talented! What a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic and hilarious! What font did you use? It's wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I'm glad you like it! The font I used is Scriptina. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this! I've been looking for wall art ideas for my bedroom...I may use this one! thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. I shared your link with my blog. candlcountrychic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chanda! Thanks for sharing my stuff on your blog! -Virginia

      Delete
  6. Awesome. I love it.

    Where do you get your font from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called Scriptina and you can find it on dafonts.com.

      http://www.dafont.com/scriptina.font

      Delete
    2. Do you have to pay to print/download/whatever from that site?

      Delete
    3. I didn't have to pay for the font. As far as I know, every font on that stie is free. -Virginia

      Delete
  7. You traced the letters with elmers glue onto the wax paper and then peeled them off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't trace the letters with glue, I trace them with puffy paint. Glue will not work correctly. Then peel them off the wax paper and glue them onto your canvas.

      Delete
  8. I like this white on purple SO much more than white on white!

    ReplyDelete
  9. is there any replacement for the mod podge? I forgot it at the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry it took me so long to get back to you! I've been on vacation. You can use any glue you have on hand, as long as it's not too thick. Good luck! -Virginia

      Delete
  10. This is perfect for what I've been looking for! I'm wanting to do the phrase "All because two people fell in love" but hadn't found anything I liked or that was big enough. What size is yours?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How would it be if I sprayed a clear enamel on top as the finishing touch? Would that work on the puffy paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that would be wonderful! Good luck! -Virginia

      Delete
  12. Help please my puffy paint letters will not come off the wax paper with out tearing making them not use able. Any ideas ?

    ReplyDelete