Thursday, July 21, 2011

Welcome Mat

I picked up this welcome mat at Lowes for $10.  I saw an idea online (and of course I can't remember where) for a fun welcome mat design that sort of made me laugh.  So I decided to make my own.

Update:  I got this idea from Kim, who writes the blog Yellow Brick Home.  You can find the original post here.  Thank you, Penina, for helping me solve this mystery!   I must have written this before I started Pinterest because I know I would have pinned it.  Lesson learned, pin everything so you never forget anything!


Using freezer paper, I cut out the design with my silhouette machine.  Then ironed it on to the mat so that it wouldn't move.  I ironed it on not knowing if it would even stick.  It stuck very well, so well in fact that I was a little worried it wouldn't come off.  But it did!


It took a lot of paint to fill in the design and it did bleed a little.  If I did it again I would spread out the letters more so the bleeding wouldn't look so sloppy.


Last thing I did was cut off the black strip.  I like it much better without that strip.  Now when you come to my apartment you will be greeted with "hi."  When you leave you will be sent away with "bye."

Again, so not my idea.  I completely wish I could take credit for this, but I can't.  All that said...I love how it turned out.

9 comments:

  1. That is such a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Saw your puffy pain canvas and was inspired to do a white on white canvas.I am uploading my video now and just wanted to pop by and say thank you! I have linked to you as my inspiration in my video.
    Thanks
    Tassy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tassy,

    Thank you for linking me to your blog! I'm glad you enjoyed my project and I can't wait to see yours!

    Thanks again,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I came across one of your projects on pinterest which led me to this post. Maybe you got the idea from my friend Kim's blog Yellow Brick Home? http://www.yellowbrickhome.com/2011/04/06/hi/
    -Penina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Penina, YES! That's it! Thank you so much! I'm updating this post so I can give credit where credit is due. :) Thanks again, Penina! -Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Pinterest is crazy that way. Penina, nice work recognizing my mat! Although you better since you come to my house :)

    Looks great, Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just did this in under five minutes with a set of foam letter stamps! I gave you credit, here's the link: http://prettyladydesigns.blogspot.com/2012/01/hi-and-bye-doormat.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a couple of friends getting married and they had 2 small homes---for a while they kept both and I made 2 welcome mats-one said His and the other Hers........

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing :) Great idea and so easy!

    ReplyDelete