Thursday, June 16, 2011

Project Status: COMPLETE

This was the painting I got from Goodwill a week ago.  Ps...be prepared for a lot of pictures.


This is that painting today.  Not gonna lie, I love it.


I started with sand paper, paint and a brush.  I don't know what possessed me to get such a large amount of a paint.  I'm a horrible estimator when it comes to this stuff.  On the bright side, at least I have a paint color I love for all the future frames I'm going to get.


Speaking of paint...I had high hopes for a light gray.  It just looks white.  It's not what I wanted, I'm ok with that.  I love how it turned out.


I let the first coat dry over night and then when back for round two since you could still see the brown.


Coat number two was good, but it still needed a third coat.  I laid it on nice and thick so that I wouldn't need to go back for a fourth time.  There are more nooks and crannies in this frame than I realized.  Painting them all took forever.


I chose to leave this brown edge for two reasons.  1.) There was no way I was going to unstaple the painting from the frame and I refused to paint freehand that close to the painting.  2.) I actually wanted that dark edge. Who knows why, I just did.  But, ya see that lighter brown section there?  Yeah, thats where I had to use my Mr. Sketch marker to cover over some white that I had gotten on the frame.  It's not perfect, but its small enough you don't notice it.  Good thing I pointed it out.


All in all...I love how it turned out.  Thank you Goodwill!

5 comments:

  1. That came out so good! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call on leaving that dark brown inner edge! It really adds a nice touch that is subtle and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea. i plan to use this. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've enjoyed looking at your inventions...interestingly, i have also just in the last week, taken 2 of my framed pictures, with what i finally discovered were boring frames, and did the same as you have...sanded and redid them...i spent an evening each on them, and was thankful i tried it..
    nice to see this here too...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a painting from a painting class at michaels or some other craft store. my mom painted a similar picture during a painting class and she has it hanging on her bedroom wall. interesting coincidence! I love the frame painting idea...one day i'd like to try putting scrapbook or wrapping paper around a frame

    ReplyDelete