Thursday, June 30, 2011

Negative Space

I saw a design on Pinterest a few weeks ago that used negative space to create a design.  I knew I wanted to do that with my footstool, it was just a matter of choosing my design.  The problem with this idea is that you only get one shot.  Once you start painting it's all or nothing.


To create the pattern for my design, I used my silhouette machine.   I used silver vinyl for the pieces so they would stick to the wood.  It took some trial and error getting them from the cutter to the stool.  I eventually figured out that eyeballing it worked best.

I was worried that the paint would seep under the vinyl pieces, so I used Mod Podge to create a seal.  If you look closely in the picture above you can see where I painted it on.


After 3 coats of paint, I peeled off the vinyl pieces and finally got a look at my design.  I really like how it turned out.


I learned my lesson after painting the hutch (which is still tacky), so I took the stool outside and spray painted on 2 coats of clear sealer.  If I only had a yard, I wouldn't have to do this on my patio and cover everything with an old table cloth.


Final thoughts?  I'm in love.  It looks so much better than that plain stool that I had to see everyday, 8 times a day.  The best part is that it didn't cost me a dime.  I already had everything on hand.  I just used the "gray" paint I bought for my frame project.  I love free.  Free is good.

2 comments:

  1. Came out great. That must be Charlie's fence? Pretty fancy fence!

    ReplyDelete