Thursday, March 31, 2011

Who's Birginia?

My name has always been an interesting part of my life. My mom liked the name Virginia because she had a friend in college with that name and came to really like it.

For as long as I can remember, I've been "Ginner", which is another interesting name. None of us know how I got it, but somehow it stuck. When I introduce myself as Ginner people give me the strangest look. If I happen to be shaking hands with them as I say my name, they just keep shaking my hand while looking confused. Let go already dude, my name is Ginner.

I love my name, but it has definitely given me some interesting stories...

For example, when I was a cashier at walmart a 70 year old man said "So, is Virginia for lovers?". Um, gross.

At my high school graduation they announced me as Virginia Saint. My 5 year old neighbor looked at Esther and said "Who's Birginia?"

I needed to exchange a pair of shoes so I called up Nike to get things going. I gave the guy my credit card information for the exchange and then he said "And what's your name?". He thought that Virginia was my mother. Jerk, that's my name.

And just today I was talking to the geico lady and she was telling me about discounts that could come from the state. She said "For example, if Virginia, I mean Pennsylvania, were to blah blah blah." I didn't hear the end of that sentence because I was too busy trying to keep my laughter silent.

Also, my phone/iPad/spellchecker all hate my name. Every time I type Ginner it's changed to "gunner" or "ginned". Oy vey.

All that said, I love my name. One of these days I'll grow into it, but for now I think I'll just stick to Ginner.

No comments:

Post a Comment