Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Ok, I know the quality of this picture is horrible, but look anyway. 

Notice how she curled up so nicely in her crate.  Notice how she is even cuddling with her toy.  Notice how sweet she looks.  

What you don't know is that Charlie is just waiting for a treat and that is the only reason she is in her crate.  And the only reason she slept on the toy was because the toy was in her treat-earning space.  

When we got back from our trip to the beach, Charlie decided to show me how pleased she was that I left by pooping ALL OVER my apartment.  No room was neglected by Charlie's love.  It got to the point where I had to start crating her again at night, which meant I had to miss my only cuddle time with the pooch.  I read that when you start crate training a dog you should leave treats in there throughout the day so they associate their crate with yummy things.  So I started doing this again since Charlie hadn't seen her crate in over a year.  

It worked out great.  I got piece of mind and a good night's sleep and Charlie got a treat.  She now has free reign of my room to choose her sleeping spot, which lately has been my bed, and is no longer confined to the crate. 

But each night before bed she still expects that treat.  If she doesn't find a treat in the crate before we go to bed, she will lay there until she gets it.  As soon as she gets the treat, she ditches the crate, climbs onto the bed and cuddles up next to my legs.  

I think the crate training was harder on me than on her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment