Sunday, October 12, 2008

Miles Shmiles

10 Miles didn't seem to bad - both times I saw Est along the way she looked good. Actually, not just good - she looked great! But we'll get to that in a sec...first things first people.

We arrived at our hotel around 3 pm. After a long drive, 3 yard sales, and picking up Sarah on the way down - we finally landed at the hotel. I was looking forward to these sweet-sleeper beds for 4 hours. This is such a canned hotel shot - and it would have looked nicer had I not Supermaned it onto the left bed the minute we got there.

Dad IMG 037

We had a sweet view. That three-pointy-thinged sculpture is a memorial for something I can't remember right now. But it was a good landmark - you could see it from everywhere.

Dad IMG 031

After we all got settled - we went sight seeing. The shot below was not staged. We were trying to find our way to the WWII Memorial (which rocks by the way). It also has no mention of God - wonderful.

Dad IMG 059

Click the link below. The quote ends like this: "Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking." Guess they just, ya know, forgot. Right.

Some of my favorite shots:

Dad IMG 074

Dad IMG 063

Dad IMG 083

Back to the race - So we had this big plan about how we were gonna get everywhere and how we were gonna meet Esther and where we were gonna see her. It's all boring and complicated - what you need to know is that it all fell apart for me and Est in about 5 minutes. But eventually I made it to where I needed to be. And got some great shots along the way.

Thanks to the race - the road was closed and I could stand right in the middle of the bridge without worrying about getting hit by a car.

Dad IMG 117 copy

Here's the before shot:

Dad IMG 112 copy

Me: Gimme the you're-scared-out-of-your-mind face

Dad IMG 113

The next place we saw Est was about 2 miles into the race.
Me: Look pretty!

Dad IMG 139 copy

The next place Dad and I trekked to (about 2 miles) was the halfway point for Esther.

Dad IMG 149 copy

This is where Dad and I split up so he could get to his soccer game. Next place I headed was the finish line. It took me longer to get there using public transportation than it did Esther to get there using her two legs.

And......She did it! She did it all without walking once.

Dad IMG 161 copy

And then she almost died going up the steps to Arlington.

Dad IMG 173

Sarah's grandfather is buried there. It's an altogether different experience when you go to see some one's grave.

Dad IMG 185 copy

We had a great time. Esther did an awesome job on her run and it was so fun to be there to cheer her on!


  1. What a fun Saint adventure.

  2. nice pics Gin: ) Frank and I enjoyed your update.