Friday, August 15, 2008

The Bully

Tuesday was our second day at obedience school. The first night was a little chaotic trying to organize and quiet all the dogs, so I figured the second time would go much more smoothly. And I was right...almost.

Before we start the class, we let the dogs run around and play together so that they will get some good socialization and learn to play well together. It was going great. Willie, Charlie, and Shames (Shay-mes) were playing well together, and for being the smallest dog, Charlie was doing well.

I was a ball of nerves. It felt like the first day of kindergarten when you say "Good luck and play nice with the other kids." And she was...at first. Then a bigger dog came and Charlie started to get vicious. The larger dog, Izzy, was showing dominance by nipping at Charlie's behind. Now, if I was Charlie, I would have reacted the same way, but growling and biting aren't things dogs are allowed to do.

So the trainer showed me how to use the water bottle to squirt her when she didn't play nice. Charlie got so rough at one point the trainer picked her up and put her into the "relax" position - which is another way of saying that the trainer had to restrain Charlie to calm her down. The poor little girl is the puniest thing in class - no wonder she has issues with dominance. I squirted her so many times it was like she had taken a bath (which would have been her second of the day).

Overall the second day went well. Now that I know my dog's the bully - I'll be better prepared for next time. But, man, I still can't believe she is the bully. My little, tiny Charlie is the bully. Well at least I can find comfort in knowing that she may be the bully, but at least she is completely unsuccessful.

Is this the face of a bully?

July 11, 2007 097

ps. She is at least 10 lbs now, if not more.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a good laugh this morning...I needed it!

    ReplyDelete