Sunday, July 20, 2008

Something Else

So I'm sure by now you are quite tired of hearing my puppy stories and all the goes with Charlie. Well too bad, because there will be a lot more of it. But not today. And just a warning: You are going to be reading the word "favorite" a lot in the next few paragraphs.

All my life I have been able to memorize lyrics in a snap. It doesn't take me long at all to memorize an entire song and be able to sing it back. I love that small, insignificant talent. Mainly, because it allows me to remember my favorite hymns and praise songs. I have a hard time remembering verses, but hymns stay with me. They are a comfort to me as much as any Bible verse, because they hold the same truths.

I have many favorite hymns, but there is one that is my all time favorite. I don't even know if it has a name. Actually I'm not sure if it's a hymn. The first time I heard it was in a Psalty tape. I sing it when I'm scared, worried, or anxious. It's very simple and beautiful. It helps to calm my heart. I sing it all the time, I just love it.

"I cast all my cares upon You
I lay all my burdens down at Your feet
And anytime I don't know what to do
I will cast all my cares upon You"

But that's not my only favorite hymn. As we closed the sermon today we sang the hymn "May the Mind of Christ My Savior." This is a new favorite for me. The last lines are my favorite part of the hymn. The sermon today was about showing others love when you feel tired, lazy, or scared. The sermon was amazing, and this was the perfect end:

"May His beauty rest upon me,
As I seek the lost to win,
And may they forget the channel,
Seeing only Him."

It brought me back to reality. Though I may be the one speaking the words or living the life - it is God, and only God, that changes lives. It is God, and only God, that saves.

And just because I can: here is one of my favorite hymns.

1 comment:

  1. I know totally what you mean about hymns. I don't know that first one you listed but I LOVE May The Mind of Christ My Savior and the verse you wrote out is the one that always speaks so strongly to me. Lowell said that was his class hymn at Oak Hills Bible College way back in the early 1970's.

    You and your mom have the same "gift" of remembering the words to songs easily...except your mom remembered the words to every TV commercial she saw! I'm not kidding.