Friday, June 20, 2008


I've officially named my disease. I'm a freak. I've always known it - but now I'm naming it and apparently posting it on the internet. As I'm sure you are well aware, I like to name things. And since I don't think my "itis" officially has a name I've adopted my own and will now define it.

Tetrisitis (te-tri-si-tis): A disease in which all things must fit perfectly together. Ya know, like Tetris. Whether it be groceries, pictures, or furniture.

Seriously, I have a problem. When I go grocery shopping, everything has to fit neatly in the cart and save as much space as possible. When I set my room up, everything had to fit perfectly without any weird corners sticking out. It just has to be that way. It has to take up as little space as possible and it needs to fit perfectly back in the same spot every time.

For example - Mom and I were setting up the landing today and I had the tape measure out making sure everything fit in its place. Being the middle child that I am - I refuse to take any blame in this disease. The fault is on Dad. Sorry to break the news to you Dad, but it's true. I'm not sure I would have developed this case of Tetrisitis were you not an engineer. Alright - so it's not Dad's fault, but I'm a middle child remember?

It slowly eats at my brain when I know something doesn't fit right. I'm that person at the table making sure my plate, silverware, and placemat all align perfectly. I have my calendar taped to my desk. I can't stand when it moves around because then I'm constantly fixing it. I like straight, clean lines. I can't handle diagonal. (Here, diaganolly! for Char) I can't make one of those crazy collages that go all crazy directions with all crazy pieces fitting together in crazy ways. I like them - but I can't put one together, it's too tough on the brain.

I'm a freak. I've always known it. But now I'm naming it. I hope you enjoyed this confession of my freakiness. I don't see anything changing in the near future either.

Notice how the calendar is perfectly aligned. And that is how it will stay.


1 comment:

  1. I liked the shout-out. Don't worry, we all have the disease in certain amounts. I just pick and choose the timing myself: )