Sunday, May 11, 2008

Graduation

Today was quite the busy day. Last night Cricket and I had to make sure we had everything packed and finish some last minute gifts and junk like that. We were both up until 3 am getting everything done.

Then Saturday rolled around and the alarm clock started going off at 8:41. Yuck. Not nearly enough sleep. So we dragged our butts out of bed, got dressed, and headed down to graduation. We had planned on sitting in the grass so we could make an early exit. Instead we ended up climbing over about 300 people to sit with Jess' family. It turned out to be a good choice because we had a great time, and never stopped laughing. Heather and I spent a good 15 minutes trying to decide if the lady in purple was wearing a jacket or a blanket - because it looked like a blanket, but sadly I think it was a jacket.

Anyway. After graduation Cricket and I went back to the house, and packed. A lot. As I was packing I was preparing myself for the goodbyes. We all went dancing the night before and just hung out. It was our last night together in West Chester and it was such a good night. It's exciting that we are all growing up...but I miss them so much already.

As we were saying goodbye to Soph I had to fight really hard to keep from bawling, really hard. I just couldn't hold it back. I love her so much. It's really hard to realize that I won't be seeing Soph and Jess back at school in the fall. I managed to get through my goodbye with Soph with minor tears, because she had to leave and we couldn't start that whole mess. I miss her hugs already. And Soph, in case you read this before I get to talk to you - thank you for your message. I'm gonna keep it forever. I love you.

Then I had to say goodbye to Jess. I have known Jess since the moment I came to West Chester. I met her on the first day of preseason and we have been friends ever since. As we said goodbye my tears started flowing and I had to force down the urge to just completely bawl. I gave her a hug, apologized for the water works, and stepped back to catch my breath. Then she looks at me with tear rimmed eyes and says "You were my first friend here." Goodness, there was no use trying to hold it back after that. We hugged again and I just didn't want to let go.

It's true. She was my first friend too. We were friends on the first day, and we are friends on the last day. Nothing has changed, and nothing will.

I had no idea today was going to be so hard. I tried to prepare myself, but I won't see them again until August. I'm anxiously awaiting that day. And as I sit here typing this, I am still fighting the tears. God has blessed my life by placing those women in my path. It's hard to say goodbye to someone that means so much to you.

And while I know that I will see them again, it's hard to watch everyone go in different directions. Our lives are changing and so are we.

No comments:

Post a Comment