Thursday, April 10, 2008

While You Were Sleeping

Sometimes, when I listen to a song that I've heard a thousand times it starts to lose the romance. Yesterday I had the opposite happen. I was listening to a song I had heard a thousand times and the romance hit me right in the face.

While I was driving to Honey Brook, I was listening to a mix of Casting Crowns' songs I had made. As I made my way through the mix I got to number 12: While You Were Sleeping. The words just really hit me. They talk about Bethlehem and Jerusalem and how they will be forever known as being towns that rejected the King and made no room for him.

"Oh Bethlehem, what you have missed while you were sleeping
For God became a man and stepped into your world today
Oh Bethlehem, you will go down in history
As a city with no room for its King"

"Jerusalem, what you have missed while you were sleeping
The Savior of the world is dying on your cross today
Jerusalem, you will go down in history
As a city with no room for its King"

Then the focus moves to America. And I guess with everything going on today with the war and the presidential election, the importance of the words just hit me. It just really helped me to focus on what this world is all about. It's just a holding ground for a better world. We shouldn't be so attached that we forget where we will go someday. I'm not gonna be here forever, someday I'll be in Heaven forever. The real meaning of eternity will be known there. I'll get to sing to God everyday and see his face. And I'll get to see Zack. That's what I have to look forward to.

One particular line of this song really made me stop and think about what I am doing in this world.

"United States of America
Looks like another silent night
As we're sung to sleep by philosophies
That save the trees and kill the children
And while we're lying in the dark
There's a shout heard 'cross the eastern sky
For the Bridegroom has returned
And has carried His bride away in the night, in the night

America, what will we miss while we are sleeping?
Will Jesus come again and leave us slumbering where we lay ?
America, will we go down in history
As a nation with no room for its King
Will we be sleeping?"

Just think about it. It's something that really hit me. If you can get the song I would definitely recommend it. It's one of those songs that helps to keep you focused and not get caught up in the world. To remember Who we are here for and Who put us here. We are here to glorify Him and nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment